Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A weekend of exploring

Any thoughts I had of getting out on the Epic last weekend were wiped out after giving my Soloman trail runners some love Sat. a.m.
I hit up Kill Creek and immediately hit some trail I had seen before, but not had a chance to ramble on. I decided to give any offshoot I saw the chance to impress me, some did, some just plain ran out of awesomeness. I spent a lot of time running just off the trail to avoid the soupy conditions our freeze/thaw cycle had produced in the warmer temps. It's really a love/hate deal here. Sure the temps warmed up to make being outside, ripping it up a little more comfortable, but then the trails SUCK and what were 8.5 ounce foot propellers, turn into anchors with the mud that sticks to them.
I ended up scouring a good chunk of soil that was new to me in the 1.5 hrs I was out there and called it a day.......for now.
Later that afternoon, laced'em back up for another 1hr jaunt out the front door that had much the same conditions as earlier in the day, but it was trail none the less. I got the 2.5 hrs I wanted to, just a little break in between.
Sunday I did some more exploring from the house around the lake. Still trying to punch a trail out the door about a 1/2 mile to said lake. It's coming along nicely.
Explored some singletrack I hadn't seen before, straight up the side of earthen dams, private fields, pasture, etc. What used to be a road ramble on the west side of the lake I can turn into a 90% single track jaunt with just a little trimming. It's do-able now, but I may as well clean it up and make it mine!
It's raining as we speak, so it looks like some trail maintenence will be in order this weekend to whip into shape what will be my new playground.

J

No comments: