Sunday, May 17, 2009

Enough whining already!

.....the wind is my friend now, we have a little thing going, just us two. The weekends training was great. 4 hrs on the mtb Sat. was weather as expected, but felt super as I went on. Had a hawk fly right out on front me on the trails, so close I could have touched it. It continued on like this for about 20 yards before a break in the tree canopy sent it away. Also got up close and personal with the local cacti....right in the hip. I needed tweezers to pick those little bastards out when I got home.
4hrs on the road today started wet, as we got hammered with rain as we were to start. It let up, and was completely dry the rest of the day.......cooler too. The Team McAllen group never got out of the parking lot, so Rick from McAllen Sports and I headed out to McCook and beyond a ways. A punishing headwind made for good tempo work, and the trip home was fast with the tailwind.
Coach Sara has me feeling stronger once again heading into Mohican in 2 weeks. This course is said to be more technically demanding than Cohutta, with short steep climbs all day long........cool. Another climb starts the race before we hit the trails. At least I know what to expect now......pure pain from the gun.

3 comments:

IronGambit said...

try duct tape next time!

331 Miles said...

That "wind is your friend" thing is all a mind game. It sucks! But nothing's better than being on the bike -- wind, hills, heat, whatever. It's all part of the game.

I know Wally and a few others rode from Burger King...maybe they started later than you and Rick?

mpadgett said...

Glen and I didn't get wet but we started at 5:30 AM.